Sponsors

Search

Google
 

Don't want to post? Email me instead.

cavehillred AT yahoo.co.uk

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

And I think to myself ...

Some news today just seems to jar and shock me into a little perspective, especially when seen side by side.

Firstly, it appears that Irish and Spurs soccer captain Robbie Keane has fulfilled his lifelong dream of playing for Liverpool FC. This dream comes with a four year contract on just over 100,000 euro PER WEEK.

My lifelong dream is to have a job doing anything that pays 100 large ones weekly for ninety minutes work. Seems like Robbie got my lifelong dream as well as his own.

"Feel the size of me walleh, Claudine?'

Meanwhile, back in the reality that is existence for the vast majority of people on the planet, soaring global food prices have now become so high that not only is there another famine in Ethiopia, but in Haiti people have resorted to eating MUD.

Yes, mud. Baked earth. Because they have no food.

Breakfast, Haitian style. Same menu for lunch and dinner.

And finally, the billionaires behind online mong-magnet Bebo have decided to beam some of the social networking inanity into space so that, on the off-chance there is intelligent life elsewhere in the universe, they too can ROFL @ de kewl LOLs uv da Bebo thang.

OMG!!!! Alienz r kewlllll!!!!111!!!

My jury remains out on who has my pity the most this morning, the poor Haitians, the aliens or the long-suffering fans of Liverpool.

Like I said, perspective is proving elusive.

What a wonderful world.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Keane will deliver on his dream...no worries there!

JC Skinner said...

I think Liverpool should sign Haiti for 100K a week, and get Robbie Keane to do the cooking for the poor sods.
Then we could send everyone who uses Bebo into space instead of just their inane mutterings.

Peter Slattery said...

Great. That's all this planet needs. A bunch of illiterate teenagers beaming idiotic messages about Paris Hilton and Westlife into space. Haven't these people seen The Day The Earth Stood Still, Independence Day and War Of The Worlds?! This is sure to bring about the eradication of the human race.

JC Skinner said...

When I think of the Bebo generation, the film I end up thinking about most is Logan's Run, Peter.

Anonymous said...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7533916.stm

Check this out, listen to the radio interview, just thought there that you may not get it!

Peter Slattery said...

If only Logan's Run were true... although I'd be writing up my will at this time.

JC Skinner said...

And I'd have had to break out some time ago!

EvotingMachine0197 said...

Remembered this post JC. Just popped back to read it again.

Muck Biscuits.

Muck Houses.

Muck Government.

JC Skinner said...

Now they don't even have mud to eat.